Thursday, October 27, 2011

Challah Rolls




I can't believe that after giving up on my blog, I have 7 followers! I feel encouraged to start again. It's much more fun writing when other people read it.

I have made the challah rolls over a year ago and never blogged about them. Maybe they were the reason I gave up with the recipes. Having tried challah before, I was expecting some chewy soft and sweet addictively delicious bread.

They looked promising when they came out of the oven (if I ignored some slightly burnt edges). What I got was oily weird taste dry bread. There were so many of them, I didn't quite know what to do with them. I decided to take some to my grandma (who loves all things bread and doesn't like all things sweet). She kept asking me to make them months later because she loved them. I had to tell her I probably wouldn't be doing a second run ever again as the effort and time it took to make them was just not worth it.

My husband didn't mind them too much. I disliked them more than anyone.

Ratings
Husband: 3½ /5
Wife: 2 /5

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe!

I'm so happy to see you decided to keep up your blog! I really liked it! I'm planning to tell a couple of friends that also like this trilogy about this blog ;), I'm sure they'll love it. Here in Spain we're about to get a re-edition of the The Bronze Horseman now in November, so we're very excited. Paullina's books were discountinued a long time ago (we don't even have Tatiana's Table traslated here...).

As for the Challad Rolls, in the picture they look delicious!!! I guess that if they tasted a little bit oily and like dry bread, they would go nice with something on the side, like nutella, butter or fruit jam. But if the effort wasn't worth it, then it's better to try something new.

I'll be waiting to see the Fudgy Chewy Brownies!!!

Cassio ;)

Zoe said...

Hi Cassio,

They would definitely be better with something like jam. That's a great idea!

Jane Jefferies said...

Ooooooooooooooooh, Fudgy Chewy Brownies!!! They are seriously orgasmic!! (can I say orgasmic on your blog???)

**Make sure you leave the cream cheese and butter out for the allotted time. Patience.**

I love Tatiana's Table!! My hubby loves the Beergarita's, we both love the stroganoff and beef roast. Soooooo glad you've picked up this blog again! Can't wait for more posts!

Happy baking!

Purgatory Carol said...

SO glad you've started blogging again!!! Can't wait to see what else you make!

Jane Jefferies said...

FYI,
here's the link to a blog you all may be interested in..........http://www.mybronzehorsemanpurgatory.com/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Jennifer J.! I like it a lot! ;)

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog as I am looking for a copy of the book Tatiana's Table. Sadly it seems not to be in production right now so the cheapest I found is $136 on Amazon! :-( I just returned from a month in St. Petersburg last summer and my bf is a former Russian soldier so relate very closely to The Bronze Horseman. I love to cook Russian food for him and have a few cookbooks but would always love another. I am more than half way through the first of the trilogy right now and am loving it! Knowing his mom survived the blockade makes it even more personal. Please keep up the posts!